Bearings, motors and printing. Oh my!

Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest0Share on Tumblr0

After the recent setbacks with stepper motors, I decided to focus on optimizing the two simplest forces at play: friction and torque.

The amount of friction increases when weight is added. After adding a few pounds of weights to my vector bot, the added friction on my axels was too much for my motor torque to overcome. The best way to reduce friction in my case was to add bearings.


This loss in friction allowed me to find motors that could supply enough torque in my price range.

After purchasing new motors and motor controls, I set about designing and 3D printing the new robot frame.


I also heat pressed t-nuts into the frame so I could use hex screws to secure the platform.


This is the robot upside down. After figuring out how to mount the weights and the battery, it was time to put the robot in the sphere.


More on the shell later and how I’m mounting it.

Vector bot in the sphere:

https://youtu.be/YjbuBchj39w

Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest0Share on Tumblr0

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *